INSTANT POT PULLED PORK CARNITAS
3.5-4 lb Pork Shoulder (Pork Butt) (Bone-in or boneless)
4 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp pepper
1.5 tsp cumin
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp oregano
2 navel oranges
2 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves minced garlic
& toppings of choice
1. In a tiny bowl, mix together 2 tsp salt, paprika, onion powder, pepper, cumin, red pepper flakes, & oregano.
2. Take your raw pork shoulder and rub the seasoning mixture allllllll over each side until well coated. Turn your instant pot to the "saute" function.
3. Drizzle olive oil in the bottom of your Instant Pot/Slow Cooker and place the pork shoulder inside to sear. Sear each side until golden brown, but raw on the inside.
4. Squeeze the juice of the two oranges all over the pork shoulder into the Instant Pot/Slow Cooker. Add the minced garlic to the pot at this time too.
5. Close the lid to the sealed setting. Cook on high for 60 minutes.
6. Once your pork is cooked, let the steam release from the instant pot and shred it carefully. Some parts might be hot! There might be some tougher parts to shred because of the fat - this is normal! I throw the huge chunks of fat away, but that's just my preference!
7. If you want to take your pulled pork to the next level, using tongs or a fork, place your shredded pork onto a parchment-paper lined baking tray. I suggest using one with a lip on the sides to prevent grease getting onto the bottom of your oven. Broil for 3-5 minutes until the edges are dark brown and crispy.
8. If serving immediately, drizzle the remaining broth in the slow cooker over the baking sheet and serve! If serving later on, put the meat back into the slow cooker on a "keep warm" setting.
I served mine in green cabbage cups! They are less likely to break than lettuce cups. I paired it with some queso fresco, radishes, green onions, and cilantro!
My pickled onions would also be awesome with this.